Skip to main content Skip to main navigation

Obstruction Permit

The City has introduced new application types along with the 2020/2021 fees and charges. 
Please see the list of new items below and the relevant application forms to the right of this page. 

An activity that obstructs any part of a public thoroughfare (e.g roads, footpaths, verges or reserves), using any equipment including cranes, cherry pickers, ladders, mobile scaffolding, waste bins, hand tools or carrying out excavation works or filming, will require a permit.

The City of Perth processes approximately 300 Obstruction Permits each month. To assist the City in offering the highest level of service to all customers, the Obstruction Permits process has been reviewed and a number of changes will come into effect. 
  • Applications to be completed and submitted by the organisation who is doing the work, not a third party (traffic management company etc.) as any reinstatement's and/or financial liability will be borne by the applicant.
  • The minimum time period required for processing of Obstruction Permit applications is 5 business days.
  • If Main Roads approval is required, you need to allow 15 business days for their approval after receiving the City's endorsement for the road closure.
  • If you require assessment within the 5 day processing time, a $100 late fee may be applicable.
  • For extensions to current Obstruction Permits, the same timeframes apply with a fee of $50. Extensions are only considered when a requested is submitted via email prior to the expiry of your current permit. 

Please do not hesitate to call and discuss with our team any questions or queries you may have on 9461 3333.

Key Details

Service TypeBuilding and construction
  • Fees and charges

    The following fees and charges will apply to your application:


    Standard application & processing fee  $156

    Road closure processing fee


    Late application Fee


    Permit extension fee


    Document re-assessment fee per hour
    (min. 30 minutes)


    Decal Application fee
    plus Decal installation per set of 10 decals (minimum 10)

    Applications between 2 - 6 month duration:
    (per month or part of )


    Ground disturbance per location
    (excavating in road way or footpath)


    Helicopter application fee
    Helicopter Landing Fee  (per aircraft landing)


    Skip Bin applications - residential
    (parking bay fees may also apply)
    or sea containers and commercial skip bins a $57 processing fee may apply


     Filming & Drone applications $156 


    Note: Application fees are non-refundable.

    Additional fees that may apply

    Please Note: Additional fees may be applicable for public health approvals and traffic management advice. Where these fees are payable, you will be notified by the Activity Approvals Unit and invoiced separately.
    Obstruction Permits will not be issued until all additional invoices have been paid.

    • Parking fees - Where parking bays are impacted by the works being undertaken, fees are applicable. You will be invoiced separately for these fees once an assessment is made by our Parking Services Unit, for fees please use the link Reserve or pay for a street parking bay .
    • Bond - A bond is generally required for road excavations and where permitted, whenever a heavy vehicle or machine is to be driven on or across a footpath or in the malls. Bonds will be individually assessed and charged, based on the footprint of the total area occupied by the temporary works, you will be invoiced separately. However, it may not be applicable if a bond has already been paid to the City of Perth with the issue of a building or demolition permit.
  • What documents are required with an application?
    Document When Required
    Diagram of location of works
    Required for every application
    (Google image outlining location)
    Diagram of work site layout Required for every application
    Works staging plans Only required when works will be scheduled in stages
    (In excel/word format headings – Stage, Start Date, End Date, Time Start, Time End and address where applicable)
    Noise management plans

    Only required if works being undertaken outside of the following hours: 7am - 7pm Monday - Saturday (excluding public holidays)

    Noise Management Plan Template - Regulation 13 - After hours construction work

    Notification letter for out of hours works Only required if works being undertaken outside of the following hours: 7am - 7pm Monday - Saturday (excluding public holidays)
    Sample – Notification Letter
    Drawing detailing new pits or conduits Where new pits and conduits are being installed
    Traffic Management Plan Required when the activity that obstructs the passage of vehicles (full road closures or partial road closures) 
    Traffic Management Plan, in accordance with the Code of Practice, including traffic and pedestrian movement and control. Please refer to Main Roads WA for information on Traffic Management Plans
    Notification letter for full road closures including diagram showing the proposed distribution area. 

    Required for a full road closure.  

     Draft copy of proposed advert to be placed in the West Australian newspaper.  Required for a full road closure.
    Certificate of Currency - public liability insurance, minimum indemnity of $10m Only required for commercial works
    Parks - map/plan of work area Any works that will affect any Garden beds, trees, shrubs and/or flora within the City of Perth
    CASA UAV Operators Certificate (UOC) Required for Drone applications
    Remote Pilot Licence (RePL) Required for Drone applications
    Parking diagram for on street parking Any works obstructing limiting the public use of on street parking bays.
    A sample copy of decal Required for Decal applications
  • Christmas Restricted Period
  • On street parking

    Any works obstructing or limiting the public use of an on street parking bay will be charged as a part of the permit application. Use of parking bays that are not for vehicles will need an obstruction permit as it is a change of use, for any state body works please reference this in the description of works.

    A parking diagram is required outlining the required bays, where an ACROD bay and/or Taxi bay is requested it is a requirement an additional replacement bay to be charged. Loading Zones need approval by management.

    Required details are the dates and days the parking bays will be obstructed to the public.

    Note: Processing time for Parking Unit will not commence until all other approvals are complete for all other stakeholders.

    For fees please use the link Reserve or pay for a street parking bay.

    Any access into malls will require all vehicle registrations of any vehicles intending to enter the malls please view Mall access below.

  • Mall access & mall deliveries 

    To prevent unauthorised vehicles from entering either the Hay St or Murray Street Malls to ensure public safety particularly during peak pedestrian traffic times.  All applications require 48 hours (2 working days) to notice.

    An online application form must be completed at least two (2) working days prior to entry date.  The City of Perth will review the application and respond via email with authorisation if the terms and conditions have been met.

    Mall access times for vehicles parking in the mall

    Vehicles that are required to park in the mall for maintenance, shop-fit etc; can only do so during the followings times:-

     MONDAY - THURSDAY  19:30 - 06:00
     FRIDAY  23:00 - 06:00
     SATURDAY  18:00 - 07:00
     SUNDAY  18:00 - 09: 00

    Mall Access times during the Christmas extended trading hours 


    22:00 - 06:00
    SATURDAY, SUNDAY 18:00 - 07:00
    • Authorisation must be granted prior to entry 
    • An online application can be obtained from the City of Perth website 
    • No more than three (3) vehicles per company are allowed to park in either mall at any given time
    • Deliveries must utilise the loading docks (see below) except those with their own loading docks ie: David Jones, Carillon, Target
    • Companies with private registered parking can access the mall at any time except during non-vehicle movement times

    To access the mall, vehicles must enter via the bollards using the intercom to speak directly with City Watch.  If the vehicle has been registered and approved for entry, City Watch will lower the bollards and allow access. 


    Access to private properties in City Malls must be requested by the owner of the property, or their agent/s. If the owner gives consent for access to their property, an online Mall Access Application Form will need to be completed, and the details registered by the City of Perth Communications Office. Parking on private property will only be approved if the bays are licensed. If the owner refuses access to their property enquiries should be made to the City of Perth Communications Office to make alternative arrangements.

    Should you wish to discuss any of the above contact us on (08) 94613333 or



    Delivery access to Murray Street Mall is to be made from Forrest Place loading dock. Delivery access to Hay Street Mall is to be made from the ENEX100 loading dock.

    Murray Street

    • Entrance from William St
    • One Way Only
    • Height restriction of 3.8m

    Hay Street

    • Entrance form Barrack St
    • One Way Only

    Private Parking off Mall

    Properties with their own loading docks, private parking or lanes can access the mall at any time except during no vehicle movement times (see below).

    Under no circumstances are vehicles to stop or park in the malls from 0600 to 1930 (2300 on Friday’s).

    Parking on private property will only be approved if the bays are licensed and requests have been approved by the owner/agent.   

    The owner/agent must complete an online application form, once granted the vehicle registration/s will be recorded on the City of Perth database. 


    There are two loading docks for deliveries into the malls:


    • Best for deliveries to Murray Street Mall
    • Access off Wellington Street 
    • West Bound before footbridge
    • 3.6 m height clearance


    • Best for deliveries to Hay Street Mall
    • Access off 100 St Georges Tce
    • East bound 
    • 4.2 m height clearance
    • Private Dock – for access phone 9476 7676

    Loading Docks - Access Times

    MONDAY - THURSDAY 06:00 - 18:00 
    FRIDAY 06:00 - 21:00
    SATURDAY 07:00 - 17:30
    SUNDAY 11:00 -18:00

    Loading Zone - Parking Local Law

    • Code 10036 clause 2.8(1)(a) A person must not stop or park a vehicle in a loading zone unless the vehicle is a commercial vehicle or an authorised vehicle; and
    • Code 10037 clause 2.8(1)(b) a person is continuously engaged in loading or unloading goods to or from that vehicle
    • Code 10038 clause 2.8(2) A person must not stop or park a commercial or authorised vehicle in a loading zone for longer than the time indicated on the loading zone sign, or if no time is indicated on the sign for longer than 30 minutes, unless authorised by an authorised person.


    City of Perth Thoroughfares and Public Places Local Law 2017

    • Code 1088 2.2(1)(c) Causing an obstruction on a thoroughfare - $250.00 
    • Code 1128 2.21(1)(b) Drive a vehicle on a closed thoroughfare - $350.00
  • Traffic and Pedestrian Management

    If any part of the work affects vehicular movement this will need City of Perth Transport Unit approval.

    A Traffic Management Plan (TMP) is required for any activity on the road reserve that obstructs the passage of vehicles or the movement of any other road user. Traffic Management Plans are prepared and designed in accordance to Main Roads WA Code of Practice and the relevant standards.

    With the implementation of the TMP it is a requirement of the City’s Policy 22.3 Traffic Management within Road Reserves under accreditation that all companies engaged in traffic management on City of Perth roads must have current registration in the State Road Traffic Management Company Registration Scheme administered by Main Roads Western Australia.  Please refer to Main Roads WA website for further information.

    Works that will be in close proximity to traffic signals or are classed as complex as defined in Main Roads Code of Practice shall require Road Traffic Manager (RTM) Endorsement.

    Full footpath closures - A pedestrian management plan directing pedestrians safely around the work site, shown as minimum on a basic traffic guidance scheme (TGS) designed by an accredited AWTM traffic manager.

    Processing varying times (not requiring Main Roads WA temporary traffic signal approval)

    • Basic Traffic Management plan as compliant to Main Roads WA Codes of Practice and AS 1742.3 -  5 business days minimum.
    • Complex Traffic Management plan as compliant to Main Roads WA Codes of Practice and AS 1742.3 - 5 business days minimum

    Processing varying times (requiring Main Roads WA temporary traffic signal approval)

    • Applicant’s responsibility to obtain Main Roads Temporary Traffic Management: Traffic Signal Approval.
    • Applicant to obtain City’s approval prior seeking Main Roads Approval (refer to Temporary Traffic Management: Traffic Signal Approval Policy).
    • Complex Traffic Management plan as compliant to Main Roads WA Code of Practice and AS 1742.3 - 5 business days minimum for the City and 15 working days for Main Roads.
    Road closures require notification letters to residents/business’s in a 100 metre radius of works, an advert placed in the West Australian and proof of delivery. 
  • Noise Management

    Any works that are being conducted outside of normal working hours will require a noise management plan as required by the Environmental Protection (noise) Regulation 1997.

    Normal working hours are 7am to 7pm on Monday to Saturday.

    Construction works includes but is not limited to: 
    The construction, erection, installation, alteration, repair, maintenance, cleaning, painting, renewal, removal, excavation, dismantling or demolition of any building or structure

    Requirements for notification to affected resident’s and business’s within 100 metre radius, would also need to supply the following –

    1. A copy of the notification letter to businesses and residents for works scheduled before 7:00am, or after 7:00pm Monday to Saturday, or Sundays and public holidays.
    2. Proof of delivery of the above notification letter to all premises and affected commercial premises within 100m of the work site/s

    Proof of delivery can include:

    • A signed and dated delivery statement from the applicant, which includes a list of notified addresses, notified relevant commercial premise names and the method of delivery, along with a copy of the letter. 
    • A signed and dated spreadsheet, which includes a list of notified addresses, notified relevant commercial premise names and the method of delivery, along with a copy of the letter. 
    • A signed and dated Statutory Declaration, which includes a list of notified addresses, notified relevant commercial premise names and the method of delivery, along with a copy of the letter
  • Parks & Gardens

    Any Works that will affect any garden beds, trees, shrubs, flora and reserves within the City of Perth.

    Mark up a map/plan of work area that takes into account all items as listed in the definition above and also provides a damage mitigation strategy for damage that may be incurred during the course of activities applied for.

    Documents required with the application –

    • a PMP (Pedestrian Management Plan) which shows how you will maintain clear, safe passage for pedestrians
    • a TMP (Traffic Management Plan) - if you are planning partial or full road closure how will you manage the traffic flow
    • Parks - map/plan of work area.
  • Obstruction Permit for a Skip Bin or Sea Container

    A permit is required to place a skip bin or container on a road or verge. 

    If the skip bin is there for more than 24 hours then a pedestrian management plan may be required. This includes a diagram showing the use of reflective tape and reflective bollards around the obstruction. Please note that a minimum 1.5 metre pedestrian clearance is required for any obstruction on a footpath.

    Ensure the skip bin is placed in accordance with parking signs and that it does not create hazard to road users. Assess the location according to the following restrictions, making sure none will apply during the time the skip will be placed on the road.

    As part of the application process, please ensure you provide information or a diagram showing which parking bay will be used for the skip bin placement.  There will also be additional fees for the parking bay booking.  For more information please visit our Street Parking Bay page

    *Please note:
    This permit does not include the skip bin or sea container.  Separate arrangements will need to be made. 

  • Filming and Drones

    The city supports the use of drones however their use is subject to approval.

    Drone - Any drone take-off and landing activity will require a Filming and Drone Application to ensure safety requirements for the public.

    • the drone operator must hold a current Remote Pilot License (RePL)
    • the operator adheres to the standard safety rules as defined by CASA, including, but not limited to:
      - the drone must be operated within the line of sight by the licensed pilot
      - the operator can only operate one drone at a time
      - the drone cannot fly higher than 120m (400ft) above ground level cannot fly closer than 30m to anyone not directly connected with operating the drone
      - cannot operate over an area where police, fire, or other safety or emergency operation is being conducted
    • depending on flight path and launch site the drone operator may require the permission of the Dept Parks and Wildlife if intending to fly over the Swan River, or the Development WA if launching from Elizabeth Quay area.

    Filming – To do any filming within the City of Perth a permit is required, this is to highlight safety for both the public and yourself.
    If your filming requires a cast and crew of more than four people then you will be required to submit a Filming and Drone Application with the following information:

    • a filming schedule with work site layout
    • a PMP (Pedestrian Management Plan) which how you are intending to maintain clear, safe passage for pedestrians
    • a TMP (Traffic Management Plan) if you are planning partial or full road closure how will you manage the traffic flow.
  • Decals

    A permit is required to use the City footpath and other paving areas for decals and are for public event promotional purposes only. The promotion of a single business would not be considered suitable. 

    Decal media campaigns should have a positive result for the public and/or the city overall, whether economic, cultural or educational/awareness. 
    Promotion of most public events would be appropriate, as would guides to specific locations utilised by the public (e.g. Elizabeth Quay, Barrack St Jetties).

    • Decals must comply with Australian Standards AS/NZS 4586 and AS/NZS 4663. The stickers must be non-slip and maintained on a regular basis to ensure pedestrian safety.
    • Organisers are to remove decals at the end of the approved period. The pavement is to be restored to its original condition and any residue or remnants is to be removed at the organisers cost.
    • The duration of each promotional campaign should be no less than 7 days and not greater than 12 weeks.
    • No campaign shall exclude the City from undertaking necessary maintenance to paving, including cleaning and lift and relay operations.

    Documents required –

    • Diagram of each proposed decal location
    • Certificate of Currency - public liability insurance, minimum indemnity of $10m
    • A sample copy of decal
    • PMP (Pedestrian Management Plan) for the installation and removal of decals. 

    Decal Fees & Charges

    Application fee is $99, plus, $100 for every set of 10 decals. 

  • Helicopter Landing Permit

    Helicopter landings are considered on an application basis in the City of Perth for tourism promotional purposes. It is encouraged that Langley Park is the best place for landings, however other locations may be considered. 

    Documentation required as part of the submission are below: 

    • Picture and location of landing zone. 30m x 30m landing zone located a minimum of 30m from the road. Ground crew to exclude pedestrians from landing zone.
    • Minimum 30m Safety Exclusion Zone.

    For flights over Swan River – Permission is required from Department of Conservation.

    All operations are to be undertaken in accordance with Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) approvals.

    Helicopter fees and charges are $99 for the application fee, and $200 per landing.