Policy and Legislation Committee
The Terms of Reference for the Policy Committee are as follows:
Established: 4 November 2020
- Sandy Anghie
- Brent Fleeton
- Rebecca Gordon
- Liam Gobbert
- Catherine Lezer
In-line with the Local Government Act 1995 (the Act), the purpose of the Policy and Legislation Committee
(the Committee) is to:
1. Support Council in fulfilling its responsibility under section 2.7(2)(b) of the Act in determining the
policies of the local government.
2. Assist Council in carrying out its legislative functions in the making, amending, revoking and reviewing
of local laws under Part 3, Division 2 of the Act.
Roles and Functions
The role of the Committee is to provide guidance and assistance to Council in fulfilling its legislative
responsibilities in relation to the following key areas:
1. Recommend to Council a workplan for policy and local law review and development.
2. Reviewing and developing policies and local laws in-line with the endorsed workplan and making
recommendations to Council as a result of those reviews at the next available Ordinary Council
3. Assisting Council in such other matters as the Council may refer to the Committee.
1. This Committee has no delegated authority and no authority to implement its recommendations
without resolution of Council.
2. The Committee is a formally appointed committee of Council and is responsible to that body. The
Committee does not have executive powers or authority to implement actions in areas over which the
Chief Executive Officer (CEO) has legislative responsibility.
1. The Committee shall be comprised of three elected members.
2. The CEO, or their nominee, is to be available to attend meetings to provide advice to the Committee.
3. Appointments to the Committee will be until the next ordinary local government election.
The quorum for a committee meeting is set by section 5.19 of the Act.
1. The Committee must elect a presiding member and deputy presiding member in accordance with section 5.12 and Schedule 2.3 of the Act.
2. A schedule of meetings will be developed and agreed to by the Committee with the Committee to meet at least four times a year.
3. The Committee shall report to Council by way of its minutes and any recommendations it may make.